Carbon Offsets Program
COming Soon… uga Voluntary carbon offsets program
- Our choices have impacts. The ways that we power our lives, homes, work, daily commute, air travel, etc. contributes to our carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions.
- The UGA Voluntary Carbon Offsets Program provides an opportunity for individuals to support experiential learning at UGA and offset emissions through tangible, local energy efficiency and tree planting projects on campus and in the Athens area.
How it works
- Individuals calculate their emissions and recommended costs to offset.
- Individuals voluntarily donate funds to support experiential learning through tangible, local carbon offset projects.
- Donations are collected and combined to fund implementation of campus and/or community projects.
- Biannually, a committee of UGA students – in consultation with campus and community partners – prioritizes actionable projects. Actual project implementation is completed by UGA students, staff, and/or contractors.
- Transparent accounting is provided to document donations received, emissions intended to be offset, project implementation, and calculated emissions reduction.
how to donate
- Calculate your emissions and recommended costs to offset using the online calculator. (Calculator coming soon.)
- Click on the “Donate Now” button and give as much as you’d like. (Fund and Donate Now button coming soon.)
How the funds will be used
- Donations to the Carbon Offsets Program will be used to support experiential learning at UGA through implementation of tangible projects that enhance UGA and the Athens community through tree planting or energy efficiency upgrades. Specifically, these funds will support student learning through implementation of projects related to the:
- UGA LED Lighting Retrofit Program
- UGA Campus Arboretum
- Athens-Clarke County Community Tree Council
- and/or West Broad Neighborhood Sustainability Program
Other ways to get involved
- The Carbon Offsets Program provides experiential learning opportunities for UGA students. Opportunities for engagement include serving on the project selection committee, participating in project implementation, and other coordination and strategic development activities for the Carbon Offsets Program. To inquire, email firstname.lastname@example.org.