UGA Earth Day Global Community Cleanup
Love where you live! Engage in Science + Service to Enhance your community.
Our goal is to log and remove 10,000 pieces of litter to help beautify and unify communities across the state of Georgia and around the globe.
During Earth Week (Monday April 18 - Sunday April 24), we’re calling all Dawgs who are able to document litter in the Debris Tracker App, then safely remove and dispose of the items.
Science + Service. Engaging in citizen science through the app will help inform policymakers' efforts to create systemic change. Picking up litter after you've documented it will make a tangible and positive difference in your community today.
Join the Global Community Clean Up!
Conduct your own clean up or join a coordinated event.
- Each participant that tags @SustainableUGA in an Instagram post or story will be entered into a drawing for an Athens Gift Box from Community Athens.
How to Participate...
- Log litter in the Debris Tracker App - to help create systemic change tomorrow!
(Note: please Select an Organization and choose "Keep Athens Clarke County Beautiful + UGA" to help us track how much litter was collected.)
- Safely remove and properly dispose the litter you logged - to make a tangible difference today!
- Post photos on Instagram and tag @SustainableUGA for a chance to win!
Tips for using the Debris Tracker App...
We've found a couple different strategies that make it easy to log litter in the Debris Tracker App during a clean up. Try one of these - or let us know if you come up with another approach that works well!
- If you're cleaning up along a sidewalk or pathway, walk in one direction and log the litter first, then pick up the litter on the way back.
- If you're not necessarily going "there and back" along a path, clean up with a partner and have one person document litter and one pick it up.
- (Don't forget to Select an Organization and choose "Keep Athens Clarke County Beautiful + UGA" to help us track how much litter was collected!)
- Use proper protective clothing, equipment, and precautions to protect from sun and heat, sharp or contaminated objects, etc.
- Wear gloves. If possible, use litter “grabbers” instead of handling items with your hands. Grabbers may be available to borrow through your local Keep America Beautiful affiliate. Wash your hands immediately and thoroughly after the clean up event.
- If working near a roadway, wear high-visibility clothing and always be mindful of traffic.
- Wave to your neighbors!
- Post photos of your efforts on social media and tag @SustainableUGA
Will you be in Athens, GA on Earth Day?
- A UGA Campus Clean Up - Science + Service event will be hosted on Friday April 22, 5-6PM starting at Legion Field. Click here to register.
- Join a scheduled event - or choose your own adventure wherever you’d like! UGA students may request trash and recycling bags from the Office of Sustainability by emailing email@example.com. Tools and supplies are also available for free through Keep Athens Clarke County Beautiful.
- ACC Solid Waste Department
- Bag the Bag UGA
- Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful
- UGA Facilities Management Division
- UGA Housing
- UGA Interdisciplinary Certificate in Sustainability
- UGA New Materials Institute
- UGA Office of Sustainability
- UGA Student Government Association