UGA Earth Day Global Community Cleanup
To celebrate Earth Day 2021, Bulldogs everywhere are encouraged to clean up your community, wherever that may be.
Our goal is to remove 100,000 pieces of litter to help beautify and unify communities across the state of Georgia and around the globe.
Through the pandemic we’ve been reminded that the wellbeing of our communities is paramount, and this includes the health of our environment. We’re calling all Dawgs who are able to serve your community by safely picking up litter for at least 30 minutes during Earth Day Thursday April 22 through Sunday April 25, 2021.
Join the Global Community Clean Up!
Conduct your own clean up or join a coordinated event.
- UGA Earth Day 2021 Good Neighbor Organization Awards will be offered to the UGA units with the volunteers hours as part of this event. Any UGA organization is welcome and encouraged to participate! Document your group's efforts through the Debris Tracker App and/or Instagram. List the total number of volunteer hours spent and tag @Sustainable UGA.
- Each participant that tags @SustainableUGA in an Instagram post will be entered into a drawing for an Athens Gift Box from Community Athens.
How to Participate...
- Safely pick up litter in your community for at least 30 minutes on Earth Day Thursday April 22 through Sunday April 25, 2021.
- Post photos on Instagram! Tag @SustainableUGA and #UGACleansUp.
- Download the Debris Tracker App and record data from your clean up efforts.
Bonus: Attend the pre-event webinar with UGA New Materials Institute on Wednesday April 21, 7-7:30PM, to learn how your “citizen science” efforts are contributing to meaningful UGA research and application strategies to enhance our environment and eliminate waste.
- Practice appropriate social distancing and follow all applicable regulations in your local area.
- Use proper protective clothing, equipment, and precautions to protect from sun and heat, sharp or contaminated objects, etc.
- Wear gloves. If possible, use litter “grabbers” instead of handling items with your hands. Grabbers may be available to borrow through your local Keep America Beautiful affiliate. Wash your hands immediately and thoroughly after the clean up event.
- If working near a roadway, wear high-visibility clothing and always be mindful of traffic.
- Wave to your neighbors!
- Post photos of your efforts on social media, add #UGACleansUp, and tag @SustainableUGA
Will you be in Athens, GA on Earth Day?
- Local clean up events will be hosted on the UGA campus on Friday April 23 and in various locations in Athens-Clarke County on Saturday April 24.
- Join scheduled event - or choose your own adventure wherever you’d like! Students may request trash and recycling bags from the Office of Sustainability by emailing email@example.com. Tools and supplies are also available for free through Keep Athens Clarke County Beautiful.
- ACC Solid Waste Department
- Bag the Bag UGA
- Envision Athens
- Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful
- Keep Oconee County Beautiful
- UGA Engagement, Leadership, and Service
- UGA Environmental Ethics Certificate Program
- UGA Extension
- UGA Facilities Management Division
- UGA Finance and Administration
- UGA Housing
- UGA Interdisciplinary Certificate in Sustainability
- UGA New Materials Institute
- UGA Office of Global Engagement
- UGA Office of Government Relations
- UGA Office of Sustainability
- UGA Student Government Association