sustainability and innovation through the food that we grow, eat, and waste
The Foodshed Initiative is a project of the Sustainable Food Systems Initiative, Office of Service-Learning, and the Office of Sustainability. The program will enhance the social infrastructure at UGA, engage the campus as a living laboratory, and support experiential learning, research, and public service and outreach to promote food security and sustainable food systems at UGA and in the communities we serve.
Learn About Foodshed
Download a narrated PowerPoint suitable for classroom presentation, or open an interactive story map.
How can we produce higher yields of nutritious food with less land and resources?
- Food by the Numbers: Feeding our Hungry Planet
- Johns Hopkins Foodspan Learning Module
- Interactive tool for assessing the impact of personal diet on climate
- The Future of Food Module from INTEGRATE
- Climate Change Food Calculator
- UGA Students Give Back with UGArden
- The Dark History of Bananas-John Soluri, November 2, 2020
- The World According to Monsanto, July 2, 2013
- Unbroken Ground, A New Old Way to Grow Food, August 4, 2016
- Inside The Growing Shift Toward Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Farming| Sunday Today, November 24, 2019
- Is Organic Food Really Better, Healthy Food or Trendy Scam, January 13, 2019
- Are GMO’s Good or Bad, Genetic Engineering and Our Food, March 30, 2017
- How the coronavirus is disrupting the global food supply, Apr 11, 2020
- The Effects of COVID-19 Will Ripple through Food Systems, March 26, 2020
- Book: Can We Feed the World Without Destroying It? By Eric Holt-Gemenez
- Book: The Ecological Hoofprint: The Global Burden of Industrial Livestock by Tony Weis
- Book: Indigenous Food Sovereignty in the United States: Restoring Cultural Knowledge, Protecting Environments, and Regaining Health
Is starvation due to a lack of food or rather due to poor food distribution systems? Do you know how long the different grocery items you bought travelled before arriving in your fridge?
- Video: Kimbal Musk’s Farm of the Future
- Video: The Need for More Equitable Food Distribution
- Video: Automating the Grocery Warehouse
- Video: Is Fair Trade Really Fair?
- Article: Secret Life of Supermarkets Shines a Light on Bounty’s Darkside – NPR
- Article: How Online Grocery Delivery Could Help Alleviate Food Deserts – NPR
- Article: COVID-19 Threatens Food Supply Chains As Farms Worry About Workers Falling Ill - NPR
- Article: Farmworkers Risk Coronavirus Infection To Keep the U.S. Fed – National Geographic
- Book: Stuffed and Starved: Markets, Power, and the Hidden Battle for the World Food System by Raj Patel
- Book: Urban Food Sharing: Rules, Tools, and Networks by Anna Davies
Do we need to change the way we eat in order to achieve better environmental and health outcomes?
- Teach Every Child About Food, Jamie Oliver, February 12, 2010
- Why Meat is the Best Worst Thing in the World, September 30, 2018
- Which Type of Milk is Best for You? Jonathan J. O’Sullivan & Grace E. Cunningham, October 20, 2020
- Book: The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Micheal Pollan
- Book: Meat Logic: Why Do We Eat Animals? by Charles Horn
- Book: The Dorito Effect by Mark Schatzker
How do we create a reliable food system in the face of climate change and poor land management?
- Running out of Time | Documentary on Holistic Management, May 1, 2018
- Regina Soarelui Queen of the Sun, September 3, 2017
- Let's talk about soil, December 4, 2014
- 50 Years Ago, This Was a Wasteland. He Changed Everything | Short Film Showcase, April 24, 2017
- Biodiversity for food security and nutrition: 30 years of the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (FAO UN)
- How Warming Winters Are Affecting Everything (Featuring UGA professor Pam Knox)
- Your Questions about Food and Climate Change Answered
- Together We Can Cool the Planet
How do we meet the agricultural needs of a population that is expected to grow to 9.8 billion by 2050?
- Can we create the "perfect" farm? - Brent Loken, October 12, 2020
- Drones, robots, and super sperm – the future of farming | DW Documentary (Farming documentary) February 7, 2019
- How Cuban agriculture went from industrial to sustainable, July 20, 2018
- Growing Roots - This Farmer Is Taking Root On Your Rooftops // Discovery on Viddsee, June 30, 2016
- The Future of Farming, May 17, 2017
- Made in Israel: Agriculture, September 13, 2013
- Vertical Harvest Farms
- Farming Robots
- Agrivoltaics: a win-win system to combine food and energy production? Hélène Marrou, September 21, 2019
- Learn how the Netherlands is Feeding the World – National Geographic
- The Biggest Breakthrough In Agriculture To Help Feed The Planet Might Come From Outer Space – learn about IndigoAg
- 40 Organizations that are Shaking Up the Food System
- Book: The Fate of Food by Amanda Little
Why do human rights issues like forced labor persist in the modern global food system?
- Video: Raj Patel: What chicken nuggets tell us about capitalism
- Video: Drought and Famine, Crash Course World History #208
- Video: The Price of Sugar
- Child Labor in Agriculture – FAO
- Article: The pesticide industry playbook for poisoning the earth
- Article: How the Super-Rich Drive Cropland Expansion Via Direct Investment in Agriculture
- Interview: The WeedKiller That Went Rogue – Shortwave NPR
- Movie: The Garden (2008) is about a South Central farm that was established after the L.A. Riots. In a back-room deal, the City of Los Angeles sold the property to a developer and the urban farmers were evicted.
- Article: Coronavirus Travel Bans Squeeze Migrant Labor – Time Magazine
- Video: What’s Motivating Hayes – The story of Tyrone Hayes and Atrazine. Read the Full Story
- Book: Hungry for Change: Farmers, Food Justice, and the Agrarian Question by A. Haroon Akram-Lodhi
- Book: Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States by Seth Holmes
- Book: The Pandemic Century by Mark Honigsbaum