Greek Goes Green at UGA!
Through a partnership with UGA Greek Life, Interfraternity Council (IFC), and Panhellenic Council, Greek Goes Green leverages passion and commitment in the Greek community to reduce waste and create an increasingly sustainable campus and community.
Congratulations to the Spring 2017 Green Chapters and their Sustainability Coordinators!
- Alpha Gamma Rho
- Daniel Paulk
- Alpha Tau Omega
- Brian Szoch
- Beta Theta Pi
- Derrick Bhole
- Delta Sigma Phi
- Erik Krogh
- Kappa Sigma
- Connor Fraser
- Tau Epsilon Phi
- Cole Greenberg
- Phi Delta Theta
- Davis Bergsagel
- Chi Phi
- Vinny Tiano
- Alpha Delta Pi
- Mallie Egan
- Alpha Omicron Pi
- Margot Richardson
- Delta Delta Delta
- Garner Gay
- Delta Phi Epsilon
- Katelyn Gray
- Delta Zeta
- Taylor Timmerman
- Kappa Alpha Theta
- Anna Mcalister
- Sigma Kappa
- Mary Higby
- Phi Mu
- Caitlin Martin
- Mckenna Johnson
- Chi Omega
- Holland Whitaker
How to Get Involved
Become a “Green Chapter"! If you're not currently participating in Greek Goes Green at UGA, follow the steps below or contact GreekGoesGreenUGA@gmail.com for more information!
- The Sustainability Coordinator must be an active member of your organization and a reliable communicator.
- Ideally, the Coordinator will live in-house and have a passion for people and the environment.
- Know someone? Have them email GreekGoesGreenUGA@gmail.com to get on our team!
- The Office of Sustainability Greek Life Intern will coordinate a meeting to identify recycling bin and signage needs - and help make it just as easy to recycle as it is to throw something away in your house.
- Off-campus houses will work with Athens-Clarke County Recycling to complete a Commercial Customer Recycling Plan Form (we can help you with that, too!).
- Recycle Right! Know which items can and cannot be recycled. Avoid the F-words: Food, Film & Foam! A complete list of recyclable items is available here.
- Provide extra recycling bins and strive for waste-free events!
- Conserve energy and water in your house - and walk, bike, or bus whenever possible instead of driving!
- Continue to give back, serve the community, and enhance quality of life for others!
- Celebrate your accomplishments!
- Be a leader - leverage your influence to encourage other to embrace sustainability in their lives, too!
- Stay engaged with the Office of Sustainability Greek Life Intern to learn of new opportunities and resources.
Sustainability Coordinators are encouraged to organize recycling for any major events or activities!
Email GreekGoesGreenUGA@gmail.com at least one week before your scheduled party or event for more information on how to obtain temporary bins.
Goal 1: Leadership
- Provide a positive example to others in the UGA and Athens community by incorporating social, environmental and economic sustainability practices into daily life.
- Appoint a student Sustainability Coordinator in each fraternity and sorority at UGA.
Goal 2: Waste Reduction
- Achieve and maintain compliance with ACC’s Commercial Recycling Ordinance in all Greek Life houses, both on and off-campus.
- Reduce landfilled waste from Greek Life houses and events by 65% by 2020.
Goal 3: Safe Mobility
- Watch out for Dawgs!
- Encourage the use of alternative transportation such as walking, biking, transit, and carpooling by members and visitors.
Goal 4: Energy & Water Conservation
- Reduce energy use by 25% and water use by 40% by 2020 through infrastructure improvements and behavioral changes in Greek Life houses.