A better future one graduate at a time
University of Georgia graduates are known for their commitment to wisdom, justice, and moderation. The Sustainable UGA Graduation Pledge serves to manifest these commitments in the form of sustainable actions and awareness. The pledge asks individuals to consider the social and environmental impacts of their post-graduation work and lifestyle choices. Your commitment will help to build a healthy, resilient, and just global community.
the Sustainable UGA Graduation Pledge
As a graduate of the University of Georgia, I pledge to consider the social and environmental impacts of all my personal and professional choices. Within any organization of which I am a part, I will apply ethical principles to all decisions because they have the ability to shape the future of our global community. I commit to being a life-long learner concerned with honoring and upholding the dignity of others and leaving the world better than I found it.
How can i begin my commitment today?
- Be kind!
- Shop local.
- Bring your own water bottle, coffee mug, reusable bag, or utensils.
- Drive less and walk, bike, or bus more.
- No matter your title, you can contribute to a culture of sustainability in your workplace. Lead by example in the areas that you control. Wondering where to start? Reduce waste in your workspace.
- Have ideas for new cost-effective sustainability strategies in your organization? Get feedback from a trusted friend or advisor, then share them tactfully with someone who can help to implement them.
- Need ideas? Review Sustainability in the Workplace on the UGA Office of Sustainability website.
- Actively listen to others, value differences, and find common ground.
- Engage civically in your community. Vote. Lend your voice to shape policies that affect people in your community, especially those who are marginalized.
- Share one sustainability tip with someone you care about, and encourage a fellow UGA student to sign the Sustainability UGA Graduation Pledge!
- Mentor a student!
- Volunteer with a local organization that enhances quality of life for others.
- Consider donating to an organization that is aligned with your values.
How have you fulfilled your commitment?
Submit your post-graduation projects and actions that exemplify your commitment to the graduation pledge. Your contributions encourage others in the UGA community and may be highlighted in our social media.